Area rugs can really bring a room together and are often heirlooms that can hold treasured family memories. Unfortunately, they also hold the dust, pet dander and grime from constant use. Even though valuable area rugs should get a good deep cleaning from a professional occasionally, there are steps you can take to keep your area rug looking and smelling fresh between deep cleans.
The first step to cleaning your area rug is remove pet fur / hair with a soft-bristled brush and vacuum both sides of the rug.
It’s best to do this on a warm, sunny day with no humidity as this will allow you to work on the rug in a clean outdoor space such as a driveway or patio.
Once you’ve give the area rug a good going over with a vacuum, and all surface dirt, dust, and pet hair has been removed, prepare a gentle cleaning solution using either a few drops of mild dish detergent in some water, or use a solution of 1 teaspoon of dish soap and 1 teaspoon of vinegar in 1 quart of lukewarm / room-temperature water.
NEVER USE HOT WATER on an area rug as this may cause shrinkage.
Test the solution on a small inconspicuous area of the rug to make sure dyes won’t run.
If the rug proves to be colorfast, go ahead and apply the cleaning solution by blotting the rug with a soft cloth soaked in the cleaning solution. NEVER SCRUB or rub hard as this may damage the fibers of the carpet, causing them to mat.
Work in small areas at a time, allowing the solution to set for 5 minutes or so, and then apply some water using another cloth to rinse the cleaning solution away.
Blot the wet area with a towel, and use a shop vac or hand-held vac on the backside of the carpet to remove as much moisture as possible.
Allow the rug to dry completely, flipping if necessary to ensure the carpet is completely dry before brining indoors.
Most valuable area rugs and accent carpets need to be professionally cleaned at least every 18 months (more if they are in high-traffic areas, or in homes with smoke or pets), but a gentle cleaning between visits to the professionals can keep all the area rugs and carpets in your home smelling fresh and looking their best.
When to get a professional St. Paul area Furniture Cleaning Services.
Have you ever had your sofas, easy chairs, ottomans or padded dining room chairs professionally cleaned? If not, they could be detracting from your quality of life at home. You may also be setting the stage for faster wear and tear down the road. The following are some of the top signs that it’s time to consider professional furniture cleaning services:
1. Visible Dirt or Stains – Of course, this is the main sign that your furniture is in need of a reboot. Eating and drinking on or near your furniture opens the door to spills, food debris, smears, stains and the accumulation of germs. Allowing pets and children on the furniture increases this likelihood. With professional furniture cleaning services, even persistent or long-standing stains and spots can be removed.
2. Accumulated Pet Hair and Dander – In addition to stains and germs caused by pets, dander and pet hair can accumulate in the furniture’s fibers. Not only is this unsightly; it can also increase the likelihood of an allergic reaction from you or your guests while sitting on the furniture. Waiting too long to address pet dander and allergens can dramatically lower the air quality in your home.
3. Odors – Even if you don’t visually see any stains or dirt, if you smell a strange or foul odor around your furniture, it is a sign that bacteria has accumulated in its fibers. Whether the odor is distinct or faint, any odor at all is an indication that it’s time for professional furniture cleaning services.
4. It’s Been More Than One Year – If you haven’t had your furniture professionally cleaned in a year or more, it’s probably due for a refresh. Even if it isn’t showing visible signs of dirt or staining, there is likely a cleanliness problem at the microbial level.
5. You’d Like Stain Prevention and Protection As Well – After your deep cleaning and refresh, furniture cleaning services can also provide an upholstery protection treatment to help prevent staining in the future. This service will assist in ensuring your furniture and living space are well preserved and a fresh, clean and attractive look can be maintained.
6. You Want the Best Care For Your Furniture – Premium care from professional furniture cleaning services ensures your furniture will be evaluated closely so that the best techniques and products can be used. Stains will be removed safely and effectively, and in a way that prolongs the life and aesthetics of your furniture and living room. Pre-spotting treatment, stain removal, and professional conditioning services are all included in the process. The best furniture cleaning companies also include pillow and cushion cleaning.
You vacuum, dust, wipe and declutter your living room, but are you giving your furniture the care and attention it deserves? Consider these six signs that the time might be right to look into furniture cleaning services. While you’re at it, you might also consider professional carpet cleaning services to give your living room a total refresh.
Like most people, you’ve probably spent some time considering “green” products when it comes to cleaning your house. Maybe you’ve even considered a cleaning company in Minneapolis or St. Paul that offers green cleaning products.
As our lives become busier every day, it’s easy to purchase the latest products that promise to make annoying chores like cleaning, even easier. When searching for a bathroom cleaner, you probably grab one of the bright colored bottles on the shelves that is strategically placed from a well-marketed brand. Have you ever really thought about what is in that bottle, though?
Whether you’re a professional housekeeper or someone who keeps their home tidy every week, you should take the time to consider “what’s inside the container”.
Most cleaning products are made up of harsh chemicals, which can be very bad for your health. Your kids and your pets’ health can suffer from this too. In today’s age, people are re-thinking what they’re bringing into their homes, and they’re looking for greener solutions.
Here’s the top reason why you should consider a green cleaning company in the Twin Cities.
A Cleaner, Heathier Home
Did you know the American Lung Association lists household cleaning products as a major indoor air pollutant and contributor to chronic respiratory problems such as asthma? Johns Hopkins also released a study showing that children’s exposure to antibacterial products can make them more prone to a wide range of food and environmental allergies.
If you go green, you’ll greatly reduce the chance that there will be chemicals absorbed into the skin or breathed in by the person cleaning. Chemicals can linger in the air, also affecting other persons in the home.
Studies have shown that using a household cleaning spray, even as little as once a week, raises the risk of developing asthma. Using green cleaning products can potentially reduce the chances of developing asthma. Asthma has been reported as the most common chronic illness and the leading cause of school absences due to chronic illness across the country today.
Purifying Indoor Air
Let’s face it. If you unleash “Kaboom” in your bathroom, your lungs taking a beating. In fact, you may have to exit the room for a while. Did you know that the use of conventional home cleaning products can contribute to higher pollution indoors than outdoors? Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), largely associated with health problems like damage to the liver, kidneys, and central nervous system, are released when products are used and stored in your home.
They can also linger in the air long after use according to the article “An Introduction to Indoor Air Quality” by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). This should be taken seriously if you’re concerned for your family’s health. You can breath easier by using true green cleaning products.
Disclosure of ingredient lists
Much like the beauty industry, manufacturers of cleaning products aren’t required by the U.S. government to divulge ingredients. And you can bet they don’t, because they’re toxic. Many green cleaning manufacturers, however, make it their policy to be fully transparent and list ALL of their ingredients – largely because there’s nothing to hide.
As concerns for health become more prevalent in today’s society and people become more educated on the harsh effects of cleaning chemicals, they’re going back to basics and looking for greener ways to clean. For the DIY home cleaner, this may involve a lot of vinegar, lemon juice, and natural oils. For the busy professional and even busier families out there, finding a Green Cleaning Company that offers monthly maid services is the way to go.
Many people are now trained to look for products that blatantly say “antibacterial”. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has changed gears and now tells us that washing with antibacterial soaps isn’t any better than regular soaps. In fact, The American Medical Association (AMA) says that the frequent use of antibacterial ingredients can promote bacterial resistance to antibiotics. A common antibacterial agent found in many soaps is Triclosan, which is known to have an effect on your hormonal system and thyroid.
Most green or environmentally friendly cleaning products don’t contain antibacterial agents.
Give Back to the Community
There’s no mystery behind the benefits of green cleaning products. Though they can come at higher costs of production, the benefits to green, organic, healthy and clean are all pretty apparent. But what else?
Many manufacturers of green cleaning products take social responsibility very seriously. You’ll often find they even have requirements to working with them, such as their containers are mostly recycled or their vendor’s processes follow some sort of green path. Often these companies will also give a portion of their profits to organizations that further social, environmental, and educational change.
So what is green cleaning?
Green cleaning is all about using products that are safe and healthy for you and the environment, and about employing eco-friendly cleaning practices. It’s also about using products from conscientious companies with sustainable business practices.
There’re so many benefits to going green when it comes to cleaning your home. At National Dusters, we offer a complete line of Better Life cleaning supplies.
Hire a Green Cleaning Company in St. Paul / Minneapolis